Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

  1. #21
    Inactive Member ibe4warriors's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    957
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

    Thanks juggernaut28.And I have to say that I see a little improvement in the team.Much better than a few games ago.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/PHSfootballfan[/url]

  2. #22
    Inactive Member imported_VTgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2002
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

    I'm not telling anyone how to raise their child.
    I'm not a parent (yet).

    But I am on the other spectrum of things...

    I wonder though, what would happen if in fact people were taught the value of being a true team player. Not everyone can and will be the star.

    I was never a star in basketball or volleyball for that matter. I enjoyed passing the basketball more than scoring in most cases. Who says, "Wow! You had 18 assists tonight! You are awesome"? No one. I worked pretty hard though and enjoyed some recognition by the time I was a Senior.

    Knowing your role on a team is extremely important. Great teams are only as good as their weakest link. That means the weakest link has to buy into the team philosophy just as much as the "star" players. They can't be crying and whining around all the time because they don't get to play. That disrupts team chemistry.

    People who are considered "practice dummies" are probably the most important role players on a team. They are just as valuable as the "stars".

    Bottom line is, I've seen some weak ball players (all sports) over the years that their parents think they are AWESOME. I hope I'm not that blind and just accept the fact if my kid isn't that great of an athlete one day.
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

  3. #23
    Inactive Member ibe4warriors's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    957
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

    Honey you have no idea what is going on.But just to let ya know...my son is taught well.Your other side of the spectrum sucks (imo) if you think i'm NOT gonna tell my children they are my all star (fail or succeed).But I am sorry that your parents didn't tell ya what a good job you did in basketball or volleyball.We always tell my son what a good job he did and he is also told what mistakes he had made and need improvement.And he learns from his mistakes.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/PHSfootballfan[/url]

  4. #24
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

    [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

    free post.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

    I don't think that VTGal is saying that there is anything wrong with being a positive force in your kids life and telling them that you are behind them 110%, but realizing that they may not be the star of the team doesn't mean that you are heartless.
    [ QUOTE ]
    if you think i'm NOT gonna tell my children they are my all star

    [/ QUOTE ]
    "My all star" Thats great, but not everyone can be the star. A lot of times there are too many cheifs and not enough Indians. I think it's awesome that you support your child, but to delude them into thinking that they are "THE STAR" of the team is wrong, IMO
    Some are not going to get the same playing time. If we treated everyone the same, it would always be unfair. For by treating everyone the same, you assume that everyone IS in fact THE SAME. By treating each person differently is the only way that we can come close to fairness, and IMO that is a futile attempt as well.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  6. #26
    Inactive Member ibe4warriors's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    957
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

    You tell me where I said one time that my son was the all star of the TEAM.I don't think I said it that way. Don't go saying I said something when I didn't.I said that no where and will not ever tell my child that.But i'm not gonna sit here and argue with a bunch of high school kids or someone acting like it anyways.In my heart my boys are my ALL-STARS!!!If you don't understand or can't get that through your head then i'll just leave this as a disagreement.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/PHSfootballfan[/url]

  7. #27
    Inactive Member imported_VTgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2002
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

    Wow.

    I went from talking about how even those that don't get tons of playing time are just as valuable to a team as the players that do....to you talking about how my side of the spectrum sucks (I don't think you quite understood what I was talking about there...sorry) and how you are sorry that my parents never told me good job.

    No point in continuing this discussion. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

  8. #28
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

    ^^^

    Exactly.

    Free post #2 [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

  9. #29
    Inactive Member imported_VTgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2002
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame

    Thanks Alienst. You got me. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    wildcat - I'm sorry you are so upset. Honestly.
    Also, I'm pretty sure that everyone that posted on this thread is way out of high school.
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

  10. #30
    Inactive Member ibe4warriors's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    957
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dad pulls gun on coach to get son in ballgame


    Who says, "Wow! You had 18 assists tonight! You are awesome"? No one.

    Just to answer your question.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/PHSfootballfan[/url]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •